Tonight, I finished up the shaping for the playroom, and began working on the landscaping around the pool. I've got the spacing figured out, but the specific patterning of the concrete will have to wait until I get a good view of the real thing. Unfortunately, there are very few pictures online of the pool area of Wingspread. The good news is, I'm going on a tour of the building this weekend! I'm bringing my camera so that I can take tons of pictures.
I also got a start tonight on the pool-side wall of the servants' wing:
While the tile work in this wall looks nice and presents a realistic brick appearance, it actually serves a structural function as well - over any reasonable distances, walls made entirely of 1x2 plate tend to be fractionally shorter than they should be. This introduces stress and bowing when you begin to attach them to other pieces. The tiles in the wall here serve as "expansion joints" to allow the wall to be as long as it should be.
I'm looking forward to a fruitful tour this weekend! Hopefully the weather will not be too cold. In the meantime, I need to figure out what to work on next. Perhaps I'll start on the garden-side wall of the servants' wing this week.
Post a Comment